Friday, August 23, 2013

...one of a kind.

Color Dare #57 is Monochromatic with Pacifica and Sky.  I didn't start out wanting to make a Christmas/Winter card, but I love how this one turned out!


To see what I did with the leftover image, go to yesterday's Heart2Heart post.

Here's the supply list and details:
  • Snowflake:  Art Philosophy cut (p.30, Decorative Layer-Shift) at 3.5 inches.  Positioned paper to cut only three quarters of image.
  • Paper: Sky
  • Ink: Pacifica, Versamark
  • Stamp set: Snowflakes
  • Embossing powder: Bridal White (old CTMH)
With a little pre-planning, I lined up my paper so the image would cut part-way off the page.  (This has become a favorite technique.  I used it on this Color Dare card, too.)  Lining things up is easy for me using my Design Studio.  It's a software program which is practically identical to the online Cricut Craft Room.  I had to pay for my software; the craft room is free.  I highly recommend getting an account because it will rock your world!  So much more you can do!!

Once the image was cut, I backed the white cardstock with Sky cardstock (full 4x5.25 sheet because my white was not a heavy enough weight--stupid Walmart ream).  I then took the snowflake image and used the "direct to paper" technique with my Versamark pad to completely cover the image.  After pouring and shaking off the Bridal White embossing powder, I very carefully picked it up by the edges and heated just the bottom.  I let that cool a bit (five or six seconds) then used a pair of tweezers to hold onto the bottom/heat-set part and heated the rest.

I learned a cool trick on sewing.  You can pull the thread through from the front to the back by "picking" at the last stitch.  Tape it down in back, and the thread won't come loose.  (If you are sewing all the way around, just line up your last stitch with your first and they'll both be hidden.)

My favorite thing about this card is how the sentiment echoes the single snowflake.  I already know who this card will go to, but it might be good to wait until it's no longer 95 degrees outside before sending it.

Until next time,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely card, Becca! Love the stitching and the off center shimmery snowflake. Thanks for the inspiration!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the partial image, Becca! I never would have thought of that. Maybe by accident, though! :) I HAVE to get on craft room.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!