Thursday, June 26, 2014

Mix and Match

Happy Thursday!  It's Becca with my last post for DrPhilScraps.com.  So sad!  But I hope you will join me over at my blog for more inspiration and to follow my writing journey until publication in January.

For this last post, I pulled out everything I've received as a DrPhilScraps Design Team member and laid it on the floor.  There was a LOT!  The idea was to look at various elements with a fresh perspective in order to mix and match with the Camper Crazy stamp set.

Here's card number one:

The mixing here was done with stamp sets.  I used three of them: Balloon Ride WOTG (sentiment), Timberline WOTG (tire track, stick figures, and arrow), and Camper Crazy (camper...like you really needed that pointed out).  Then I threw in embellishments from here, there, and everywhere.

I used ProPlayer paper.  Although it's still in the current catalogue, it's not featured.  I don't know about you, but when I don't see something used in examples (either in the catalogue while blog hopping), it gets pushed to the back of my crafting consciousness and languishes.  Pulling everything out refreshes your memory.

The layout of this card is from the "Wishes" Card Confidence Program.  It's called "Right Design" in the 8" x 3.5" category.  My card is actually 4" x 9" to fit into a standard business envelope.  The only adjustment I made to the proportions listed was in the long, thin sentiment strip.  It's 6" x 1".

If you'd like to see another card that combines Camper Crazy with Timberline WOTG, click here.  In my humble opinion, you can't purchase one stamp set without the other!

****************************
My second card comes in two parts.  Let me tell you the technique first so you know what to observe.

The idea of mixing various paper packs together isn't new.  But you can also force papers to match with a little creativity.  This is particularly handy when you want to match colors from a paper pack that has a custom color. For example, Skylark paper has a trendy, almost neon green color in it.  Though I predict Skylark will show up in the Fall/Winter CTMH catalogue, it will be discontinued one day.  If you want that custom color, what do you do?

Make it!

Here's Skylark and Timberline used together without altering the Timberline ZipStrip that has all the little words about camping printed on it.


And here it is again after I've altered the ZipStrip.

 

I used watercolor paints because they happened to be on my desk.  Another way would be to mix re-inkers like Honey and Pear then paint it over the paper.  You will get some curl in your paper, but let it dry, place it under a book overnight, then fasten it securely and all will be well.

Another way to alter the look of paper is to sponge or brayer over it.  The greyish tone of the woodgrain paper from Timberline could be warmed up with Honey, darkened with Chocolate, or tinted blue with Twilight.  The possibilities are endless.  Another way this technique comes in handy is when combining a white base paper with an off-white base paper.  Sponge or paint with a little Bamboo or Champagne and voila!

Before I go, my deepest thanks for allowing me to be a part of your crafty world for the past six months.  A special thanks to Dr. Phil for the honor of being a Design Team member.  As I hope you will join me on my blog (and want to know about my novella being published come January--wink, wink, nod, nod), I do not bid you good-bye, but leave you with my customary...

Until next time,
Becca

 Product List

1 comment:

  1. great cards, Becca! I'm glad you are still with the Color My Heart Color Dare Design Team!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You bless me!